Mentoring is an effective and popular way of providing guidance and support to young students. Effective mentoring also helps to accomplish program goals, ensuring consistency and stability. The prime objective of the mentor – mentee process at Mar Elias is to ensure students’ Holistic development and growth on the academic and professional matters by fully exploiting the potential of every individual. This programme is organised on every fourth Thursday of the month. All mentors keep a confidential mentoring record,a data sheet about their students, which records a report of mentoring done by the teachers. These reports are periodically evaluated by a team of teachers selected from each department. Each teacher in all department is assigned with the task of mentoring20- 30 students.
Role of a Mentor
- To take the lead in supporting a mentee through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship.
- To build a relationship of trust by caring and planning for welfare of the mentee.
- To serve as a positive role model, advisor, coach and confidante.
- To strive for mutual respect.
- To provide guidance and support to develop professional and personal skills.
Responsibilities of a Mentor
- Meet the mentee student four times a month.
- Track the academic performance of the mentee and counsel, guide and motivate in all academic and professional matters.
- Advice the mentee regarding choice of add on courses, external certifications, project, internships and other co curricular matters.
- Advise for career options and its planning and development.
- Maintain a confidential progressive record of the mentee.
- Intimate HOD and suggest if any coordinated action is called for.
- Contact parents/guardians if situation demands e.g. irregularities, negative behavioural changes and interpersonal relations, detrimental activities etc.
- Maintain contact with the students even after their graduation.
Responsibilities of a Mentee
- Respect the mentor
- Regularly attend the meetings with the mentor and seek advice.
- Provide the details of his/her performance, curricular and extracurricular activities to the mentor
Responsibilities of the Head of Department
- Review the mentor – mentee system on regular intervals.
- Support and advise the mentors for effective discharge of their duties.
- Keep the head of the institute informed.